Re: Fastest, easiest Flatfile DB with PHP

For one, I don't see how it would be beneficial to store large quantities
of data in a non-database type of format.
As far as reducing the overhead of using MySQL, there are many methods one
can use to reduce the number of queries to a database.  For instance, if
you are worried about making many small queries, you might want to look
into creating large arrays of data from few queries, and then breaking out
those arrays into the pieces you need throughout your program.  I just
revamped some code I did a
while back and did the very same thing, making one db call to create a big
array, and passing sections of that array that I had broken into
multi-dimensional arrays to various functions.  This change cut the
processing time in half.

Another option is using reduced data sets for certain tasks, if you can
tell from the beginning  of the program that only certain groups of data
will be needed, such as per date entered, age, etc.

|>                 John Krewson                   <|
|>                 865-974-3263                   <|
|>             krewsonj@sworps.utk.edu            <|
|>            Senior Programmer/Analyst           <|
 Social Work Office of Research and Public Service

"The true art of memory is the art of attention."
Samuel Johnson