Re: sort by date

Hey, there are a lot of new people who are starting with PHP.  We all are
here to help people learn how to use PHP because we are all PHP fans and
want the world to use PHP.  register_globals is an issue that us more
advanced folk know about and deal with on a regular basis.  There are lazy
people who don't know how to use a manual.  However, we've got the ability
here to help people who don't know about or how to use the manual.  And
honestly, some questions are more difficult than the manual provides,
especially if you aren't sure where to look.

How's this?  Anytime someone posts a potential answer, post the manual page
for the function, SQL reference or something related.  That way it's in the
newsgroup and the archives.  People DO search the archives, while some
people don't.

We can't all expect everyone to be as smart and as knowledgable about PHP
as some of the people on this list are.  So give them a chance and help
them learn how to learn instead of getting mad.  And if you get mad, maybe
this isn't the right place for you to be!  I mean that in the nicest
sense; the world is filled with idiots, and this list is here to help both
idiots and geniuses get through their stumbling blocks by being an
intelligent, helpful and friendly community.  At least that's what I hope
this is.

Peter

On 6 Nov 2002, Marco Tabini wrote:

> Well, excuse me for being a bit cynical, but it's hard to be
> philosophical with a deadline hanging over your head. It's true that
> most of the questions can be answered by looking at the manual, but you
> also have to assume the possibility that the person who's asking them
> has a real and immediate need for the answers--at least that's the way I
> try to think.
>
> One thing that would be great, IMHO, would be to start putting together
> a little FAQ, like many other mailing lists have, that gets updated and
> posted to the list once a month... it could contain answers to the most
> frequently asked questions--anybody who's tired of answering that
> register_globals has been turned off in recent versions raise your hand!
> :-)
>

> Marco
> --
> ------------
> php|architect - The magazine for PHP Professionals
> The first monthly worldwide  magazine dedicated to PHP programmer
>
> Come visit us at http://www.phparch.com!

Peter Beckman            Systems Engineer, Fairfax Cable Access Corporation
beckman@purplecow.com                             http://www.purplecow.com/
--- Begin Message ---

Agreed.  we prove day in and out that the answers are only an email
away...why would anyone go a different route.  manual?  whats a manual?
There are some brilliant people on this list, but some equally intelligent
people wrote some fine documentation.

                    "Ignatius
                    Reilly"               To:     "Snijders, Mark" <Mark.Snijders@atosorigin.com>, "'Marco Tabini'"
                    <ignatius.reill        <marcot@inicode.com>, "Terry Romine" <eatrom@blazing-trails.com>
                    y@free.fr>            cc:     <php-db@lists.php.net>
                                          Subject:     Re:  sort by date
                    11/06/2002
                    10:29 AM

Good point.

"Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand"

Ignatius