how to timeout a db connect

Is there any way to control the timeout of a pg_connect() call? I.e., if the
connect doesn't succeed in N seconds, abort immediately, and fall through to
the next line of code. I've got my app configured to go into "maintenance mode"
when the db connect fails... only problem is, that takes too long. I'd like to
manually specify a lower connect timeout. Is this possible?

--
Alex Howansky
Wankwood Associates