Outputs:

Array
(
    [hi] => bye
)
1

Which is what I'd expect it to show.

Now how did you assign categories?

Maybe the var is a scalar and is actually "Array (\n  [0] => '1';\n  [1] =>
'12';" and you are confused.o

If you are saying:

$_SESSION['categories'] = "Array (
    ";

Then it IS a scalar.  Try this:

print ":::{$_SESSION['categories']}:::";

If you get this:

:::Array:::

Then I have no clue what the problem is

If you don't get that, then we know what your problem is.

Peter