Dealing with Unchecked Checkboxes

Hey all, I'm trying to get my head around checkboxes.  I can insert "checked" checkboxes into a DB no problem but I get an error when the checkboxes are unchecked.  I've used the following to try and handle unchecked checkboxes but I still get the error "query was empty" can anyone point me in the right direction?

$number=count($GiftWrapping);
 for($a=0;$a<$number;$a++)
{
     echo $GiftWrapping[$a];
 if ( empty( $GiftWrapping ) )
 {
 $GW = 'N';
 }

INSERT INTO DB CODE HERE

GiftWrapping = '$GW'";

}

Cheers in advance,

Graeme :)

Public Sub House()

On Error Resume drink

         If Pint.empty = True Then
                 Pint.refill
   Else
                 Pint.drink
         End if

stomach.add Pint

MsgBox " I've had .... " & stomach.count & " Pints"
MsgBox "VERY DRUNK"

End Sub