Re: [PHP] PHP and databases? ...without MySQL and such

I'm such a confirmed database user, and databases have so many virtues and
advantages, that I firmly believe the fight to get one is *always* worth it.

Now, with that out of the way, don't the Berkely DBM tools provide
database-like access to text files? Have a look at
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.dba.php

There is limited access to .dbf files in PHP, but their usage seems
surrounded by large doses of caution.

It really is worth the wrangle to get a relational database in place;
development will be faster and performance will be incredibly better,
unless your database is tiny. For example a SELECT on an indexed field
returns results almost instantaneously, rather than having to open a file
and sequentially read its contents. Updates to and inserts of data are
easy, you have built-in primary key mechanisms, etc., etc.

On top of  that, support is vastly superior. If you have a problem with any
of the major database - MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Db2 you will get an
answer quickly, or it will be a known problem and you'll find the answer in
the archives, either here or on lists devoted to those products.

Finally, please don't cross post - let's try and contain the discussion.
I've removed all the cc info, and replied only to PHP-DB.

Regards - Miles Thompson