RE: [PHP] PHP and databases? ...without MySQL and such

PHP has support (although depreciated) for dbase databases, dbm
databases, etc. Check the manual page, there are many types of databases
supported, including a couple flat file versions. Why re-create the
wheel?

I understand the "red tape", being in the military. I don't see why it
would be hard to get PostgreSQL or MySQL support, though, there is zero
cost to the company.

---John Holmes...

PS: Miva? Heh...I remember _almost_ learning that...but I found PHP
before I got too interested in it...

FILE
> databases.  First let me give an introduction to my question.
>
> I used to work at a company (www.miva.com) where we developed our own
> scripting language "Miva Script", so my only experience with PHP was
for
> comparison and such.  The company was not doing so good and was barley
> afloat, so I left.  In my efforts to find a new scripting language I
> choose PHP over ColdFusion, even though Miva Script was so similar to
> ColdFusion.  I am loving PHP, I never realized just how extensive PHP
is.
> Now I am at a big company where "red tape" has to be dealt with before
> could get access to a database server.  With the Miva Script language
it
> has it's own built-in database (dBASE-DBF), so databases were never a
> problem with web development.  So, I am stuck with either using PHP
and
> finding a solution "or" reverting to Miva Script, which I do NOT want
> do, of course I want to stay with PHP.  I have been doing some
research on
> google.com and such and have not found too much information on PHP
with
> Flat File or DBF databases.  I did find some PHP scripts working with
Flat
> File databases, but not really what I need.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions, or is PHP mostly just for MySQL and such.
>
> I am developing some PHP classes/functions that are utilizing "file()"
and
> "array()" to read and edit my flat files.  It's not perfected yet and
I am