  From: Darrian Walker [mailto:dwalker@healthyproductsplus.com]
  Sent: Wednesday, 16 October 2002 1:10 PM
  To: php-db@lists.php.net
  Subject:  Passing string variable to HTML TITLE tag fails within
Netscape but works well within IE.

  Passing string variable to HTML TITLE tag fails within Netscape but work
  well within IE.

  I have a single page consisting of inventory items to be sold. When an
item
  is selected, it passes the product name to a DETAIL page as part of the
  TITLE tag for the DETAIL page. My problem is: Netscape does not like the
  SPACES between the text and refuses to display the DETAIL page.

  Initially, I thought there might be some way to parse the string and add
the
  ascii code for SPACE, but I wasn't sure if I was on the right track. Does
  anyone have a proven solution to this problem?

  I thought the pseudo code might look something like this:
  <?php
  function
  parse_and_change(&grab_string){
      $string_holder=$grab_string;
      while stepping through the characters in this $string_holder
          { if character = " " (or some other representation)
              replace it with something that doesn't
              scare netscape or title tag
          }
  return $string_holder;
  }
  ?>

  <?php
  if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS["itemname"])) {
      $title = (parse_and_change($HTTP_GET_VARS["itemname"] ));
      }else{
      $title="Generic Product Title";
  }
  ?>