Problem after upgrading to PHP 4.2.3

I recently upgrade to PHP 4.2.3 and started having problems with one of my
applications.  I have a PHP application that interfaces to a MySQL DB
(version 3.23) all running on an Apache web server (1.3) under Linux 7.  Up
until doing the upgrade, everything had been working fine.  Now on a daily
basis, the MySQL server has started exceeding the max_connections.  I
doubled the number and again exceeded it.  Being somewhat of a novice with
all of this, I am somewhat at a loss as to where to look to identify the
problem.  Any suggestions that anyone can give me would be greatly
appreciated.