RE: Separating content from style

My $0.02 worth,

For the purposes of sanity (mine) I treat a combination of PHP/HTML in the
web page as the middle tier (Controller), the browser and any JavaScript as
the front-end (View) and a combination of PHP objects and the database as
the backend (Model).

This warped view of MVC allows me to incorporate some PHP in the HTML so I
can avoid things like tag libraries and template engines. (Nothing wrong
with them, they are just one MORE level of abstraction) As a rule, I do not
allow the code that is in my web page to access the database.  All database
access is done through objects. I also do not let objects (with 1 exception,
my FormBuilder class) generate HTML.

Depending on the project, I may code mysql_* commands in my objects or (my
preferred method) utilize ADODB as my database abstraction layer. (BTW, I
don't use it because I switch databases a lot, I use it because I like the
feature set.)

Therefore, my web pages usually:

Instantiate the objects necessary to build the page.
Manipulate the objects and wrap them in HTML.
Destroy the objects and send the page to the browser.

It's not true MVC or pure OOP but it's the best compromise I've come up
with.

=C=

*
* Cal Evans