import data from excel to mysql

Hi,
  Is it possible to import the data from excel to mysql database using php coding.I need to satisfy the following condition to append that code:
         1.If employee mobile no already exists in database the the record not to inserted(same as email id).

Please help me,if any one have code for to import data from excel,i already have csv import but my client asking to do excel import.

Thanks
D.Sridhar