Finger Print comparision

Hi There,

I am developing an application which required biometric comparison (finger print comparison).

I receive the user thumb print on a paper (form), I scanned it with high end scanner and then stored the same in an image file (if required I can also store this in database as blob data). The user can send the form again (filling a new form and giving his thumb print again on the form) and at that point before inserting it to in my database I want to make sure that this thumb print is not already there in my database.

How can I compare those thumbprints taken at two different occasions. They can be on my file system or can be in my MySQL database.

Considering the performance of the system I am ready to write a C++ or JAVA routine which would do this for me. This process will run in a separate space (out of memory allocated to Apache).

Any pointers will help me.

Thanks,
-Zaid