Re: PHP/MySQL question

WARNING - DB & PHP INTERNALS DISCUSSION.

I have not worked on nor am I completely sure that this is accurate... but here's how I
think PHP and the MySQL functions work.

PHP builds a query string and passes it to MySQL via 'mysql_query', which dutifully
executes it and returns certain results (e.g. number of rows fetched, whether it was
successful or not, and accompanying error messages).  I'm pretty sure it doesn't return any
data or column names until you start fetching it.

Given the fact that the function 'mysql_free_result' exists... it seems as though MySQL
stores the results in a temporary, invisible table.

The only way that you can access the data (or a lack thereof, column names included)... is
to perform a fetch - of course after checking for errors and to see if any rows have been
returned.  PHP then shoves things into an array (e.g. key => value) and returns them to
you.

Larr.