Re: Question about freelancing

Hello,

on 11/01/2007 09:30 PM Pete said the following:
>> I live in New Zealand. Can anyone suggest as to how i can go about in
>> finding a freelancing jobs that require skills in Html, Javascript,
>> Css, Php, Mysql and which can be done from home.
>>
>> Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards
>> Sudhakar
>
> The previous suggestion of PHPClasses is really to find local

The service was just released. Currently it just lists professionals
sorted by their countries.

Soon, it will allow employers and head hunters to search professionals
by their skills regardless of where they live.

Also, employers will also be able to post jobs (local or remote) and you
will not pay to get those jobs offers.

> programmers, and is quite simple, but doesn't seem to be much use unless
> you pay, since no-one seems able to contact you if you don't.

That is not accurate. If a potential employer is willing to contract
you, he can just pay to become a premium subscriber and have full access
to the profiles of all non-featured professionals listed there.

So even if you do not want to pay, you can still benefit from getting
listed there. Of course, if you pay to become a featured professional,
your chances of getting more jobs are certainly better.

Anyway, maybe it was not clear but the cost of being listed as a
featured PHP professional is just USD $5 a month. I don't know how much
employers pay you in your country, but in most countries PHP consultants
earn more than USD $5 in just 1 hour of work.

The PHPClasses site is visited in average by over 15,000 users
interested in PHP every day. Many of them are looking for professionals
that work on their projects. If you are serious about investing in your
career, the way I see it paying USD $5 to improve your career
opportunities is peanuts, don't you agree?

> ODesk sounds more like what you need, you can see jobs, take tests (used
> to be free, don't know if it still is), apply for jobs, get a work
> record, guaranteed payments, etc., all at no charge.  They make their
> money by charging a commission on your earnings.
>
> The downside is, of course, that you are up against the cheapest in the
> world.  But the cheapest aren't always the least expensive, if you see
> what I mean.

The PHPClasses site professionals directory was not created to compete
with other services but as you just said the scope of those services is
different.

Depending on what you want from your career, you need to bet in several
directions to see what works better for you.

Sudhakar is from New Zealand. His chances to compete on a global scale
with other professionals for remote jobs will probably not be great .
However, if somebody from New Zealand wants to hire a professional with
his skills to work on their office, Sudhakar chances are much greater .

So, getting listed in a professionals directory sorted by country like
PHPClasses PHP professionals directory is always a good idea,
independently if you want to pay to become a feature professional or not.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/