Need To Develop a search engine

Hi,

I have developed a web portal and now I need to develop a search engine for this portal. Can any body tell me the best technique to develop a search engine, I will really appreciate if you help me to sort it out. What changing required at db level and what are the code standards to develop a search engine for web site. If there is any ready made control let me know and how it works.

Thanks to all.