Re: Email Read Receipt concept in PHP

> I am doing a analysis of Email read receipt concept.. I need your help
> regarding that.
>
> For an instance, If i am sending 1000 emails from my php file to my
> clients, I would like to know how many of them opened their email?
>
> I guess in the Javascript we can do this, Is this the right way or any
> other short cut method.

As others have already said, the two ways are:

1) Return receipt, and

2) An image request in the email message.

Neither are going to be 100% accurate. In fact, I doubt that either will be
better than 50% (making up a number here) accurate.

1) Many people turn OFF the return receipt. I turn mine off. Many
businesses turn them off, either at the workstation, or at their firewall.

2) Using external images is sometimes called Lazy HTML. Some email
clients (Outlook, etc) USED to turn this on by default. Now, they turn it OFF
by default, and require the user to specifically ask to see the image. My
email client, Pegasus, won't request or display external images at all. I have
to open the message in a browser if I want to see the images. Many
businesses also turn these off, as it is viewed as a security issue (viruses,
trojens, etc.)

So, you can ask for a return receipt, or use an image request, but the data
you collect WILL be inaccurate.

Malcolm
www.artcoinc.com