Re: Email Read Receipt concept in PHP

In message <OFB242152F.115A5A89-ON65257284.0034186C-
65257284.003657A9@xxxxxxx>, Krishna Srikanth <krishna.srikanth@xxxxxxx>
writes
>Hi Kannan,
>
>Just note a small suggestion (not related to php).. As you know, return
>reciept will be a small mail, which the user's mail client will return to
>the sender.
>
>In your case, its a news letter with about 1000+ users. Suppose you want
>return reciept. As soon as you send out news letter and go home, the next
>day you will find 1000+ mails in your inbox.

It would be interesting to know how many he would get, from those that
are read.  He would not get one for me, for example.  Text mail reader,
with "message read" switched off - I think that most people switch it
off nowadays, to stop spammers confirming addresses.

I suspect that (s)he will get very few responses.

>You can try one thing. Add a column in your "email_subscriptions" table
>called "read" and put "1" if read and nothing if not read.

You could add 1 each time you get a response, and so get some rough idea
of how many issues have been read.

> As Abhishek
>suggested, use the image concept. When the html mail message asks for
>image from server, you capture the id and update database.

I think that this is the best method, whether simply setting to 1, or
accumulating.  But it certainly isn't 100% effective.

You may want to update a "date last read" field at the same time, to see
who has stopped.  This would be useful to see who used to read, and have
stopped now. You could ask them why...

...but I certainly wouldn't rely on any method - you are not going to
get anything like an accurate response.

--
Pete Clark

Sunny Andalucia