Re: Introduction of newbie

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the help.  It does help me a bit.  At least now I
understand what a class is...  Sort-of.  A collection of templates or
 standard scripts - right?  It has nothing to do with school - and
nothing to do with social structures...

I am aware of the syntax issues, and I also fully understand how the
PHP programming works, in principle. I do understand how computers
work (I actually coded one of the very first Motorola 6800 in
hexadecimal digital machine codes to control chemical analytical
instruments back in the seventies... that was when Algol, Fortran, and
Cobol were "advanced computer languages" - but anything made later
than 1990 is Greek to me, except HTML....  What confuses me are the
darn protocols and where and how and why they are needed - and which
ones to pick!)

Let me reiterate what I believe I understand from what you say:

If I get my hands of PhpMyAdmin and install in on my web site and/or
my computer, then I should be able to refer to that or to parts of it
when I need my web pages to interact through the server's PHP?  It is
like a collection of templates for coding that simply works?  I mean -
no need for a cave man here to try to reinvent the wheel?

If that is correct, then that is exactly what I was looking for to get
started.  Where do I get it?

Also, I would love to get my hands on that book - it sounds like
something I could use.  I don't mind starting from "square 1" with the
dummies - I can just quickly skate over stuff that is familiar - but
it takes forever and brings zero results to get a kickstart at "square
7" when "square 3" and "square 5" are completely missing in my
education...

Could you be more specific about where to get that book?

Cheers,

Mogens

--- In php-objects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Bruesch <pbruesch@...> wrote:

> Mogens,
>
> I'm a bit ahead of you on the PHP curve, but that does not make me an
> expert... but here are some thoughts from a fellow amatuer...
>
> First thing to recognize is that PHP is a server-side scripting
> language, meaning that PHP interacts with the web server (e.g. Apache).
> When the web server sees a file extension of .php (or .php3, or
> whatever) it passes the page to PHP to parse all the <?php ... ?>
> (and/or <? ... ?>) parts. EVERYTHING between <?php ... ?> must be in
PHP
> [...]
> be fairly apparent after a bit of tail-chasing.
>
> Rather than write your own page to access the data, I suggest looking
> into PhpMyAdmin.  It is an open-source PHP-based set of utility pages
> that allow you to do almost anything against a MySQL database, e.g.
> create / alter DB objects, issue queries, insert rows, etc.
>
> The book I got started with PHP/MySQL is the Sitepoint book "Build Your
> Own Database-Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL"... I liked it 'cuz it
> starts at the beginning.
>
> Hope this helps, at least a little,
> Paul
>

> Mogens Eliasen said the following on 3/30/2006 11:56 PM:
> > Hi all - I am Mogens from BC in Canada - and I now realize that I have
> > to learn this PHP thing, as I am left with a web site that uses it -
> > with the programmer gone....  and, I need to make some changes and
> > improvements....
> >
> > I am pretty good with HTML - but PHP has thrown me completely off....
> > I have no clue where to begin.  I can make a little meaning out of
> > some of teh code on my pages, but not at all enough to understand what
> > is actually going on.   I bought some books and e-books about it,
> > hoping to learn this - but I have yet to find anything that makes
> > sense, WITHOUT assuming that I am a full-time professional tech who
> > makes a living on maintaining a commercial web server...
> >
> > I have a database (MySQL) connected to my web site, and an affiliate
> > program running that uses it - and it works.
> >
> > The tasks I am looking at includes what I believe are very simple
> > tasks, like:
> >
> > - I need to be able to read a value in the database and display it on
> > a web page that is in .php format with html coding;  I refuse to
> > believe that I need to read a 600-page book in order to that...
> >
> > - I need to make a web page for myself that will allow me to search in
> > the database for all purchases made by a given customer;  this one, I
> > acknowledge, could be more cumbersome, as it deals with more than one
> > parameter.
> >
> > - I need to use the above to do stats and math on the data; tis is
> > less urgent, but it will be important for me later.
> >

> > I found a web page that appears to cover quite a bit of what I am
> > looking for.  It is called a PHP CLASS - whatever that means.  The URL
> > is http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2943.html - it contains no
> > explanations in regards to what it is and how it works.
> >
> > It this where I should start?  Or will that just lead me into more
> > frustrations?  Where do I find an overview of the terminology, so
> > pages like this are a little better than Greek to me?
> >
> > Any ideas and suggestions are certainly welcome.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mogens
> >

> > PHP Data object relational mapping generator
> > http://www.metastorage.net/

> >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

PHP Data object relational mapping generator
Yahoo! Groups Links