Re: PHP and Ajax - very very slow

Hello,

on 02/02/2006 08:41 AM Francisco - São Paulo - Brazil said the following:
> How do you people use PHP with Ajax?
>
> I have been using this code, but there must be something wrong because
> it takes too long to get the answer from the server. I really need,
> somehow, to check if the IE version is 5.

Yes, XMLHTTPRequest is known to be slow, especially when you are dealing
with XML responses. That was the conclusion of Guilherme Blanco, author
of the pAjax library. He gave a talk in November about AJAX in CONISLI
free software event in São Paulo, Brazil. In the talk he presented some
benchmarks that demonstrated that XMLHttpRequest based AJAX is slower
than for instance IFRAME based interactions.

The slides of the talk are available in the ProPHP site. They are in
Portuguese, but since you seem to be from Brazil too, I think you will
not have a problem to understand.

http://www.prophp.com.br/conisli.php

Another problem of XMLHttpRequest is that it less compatible between
browsers. So, IFRAME seems to be a better choice in most (if not all) cases.

Recently I have developed a plug-in for a forms class to interconnect
form select inputs that have their options reloaded from the server, for
instance from a database, when a connected input changes its value. I
have used IFRAME instead of XMLHttpRequest and it works reasonably fast.

Here is a demo page:

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/view/html/file/9879/name/test_linked_select_page.html

The forms class is here:

http://www.phpclasses.org/formsgeneration

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/

http://www.phpclasses.org/

PHP Data object relational mapping generator
http://www.metastorage.net/
Yahoo! Groups Links