Re: Multi Lingual Sites

listmail@shoan.net wrote:

> > I am currently working on a multilingual app, so i thaught i could share
> > some of the knowledge i have accumulated on the subject in the last
> months,
> >

> WOW. That quite a bit of advise. I am flagging this message as
> important. :)
>

> > After a lot of searching and testing i ended up using the following
> > configuration:
> >
> > A full unicode (UTF-8) environment
> >

> > PHP 5 OOP + a template engine -->always seperate html from coding,
> >
> [Snip...]
>
> I forgot to mention that this site is on shared hosting running outdated
> versions of php and mysql. Hence I won't be able to implement most of your
> advice. But nonetheless its a great post.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peace,
> Shoan.
>

> PHP Data object relational mapping generator -
> http://www.meta-language.net/
>

> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
> click here
> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129anqh8u/M=315388.5497957.6576270.3001176/D=groups/S=1705006764:HM/EXP=1097749805/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>

Hi again Shoan

Hassan has pretty well covered it all, I think.
I have only one further suggestion.

One way that I have used to separate the HTML from the PHP code is to
create HTML snippets and include selected scripts as determined by the
QUERY_STRING.

  $ifiles = explode('&', $QUERY_STRING);
  $urlpath = "http://www.xxx/";; // Or whatever your base URL happens to be
  foreach ( $ifiles as $ifile )
  {
    $ifile = $urlpath.$ifile;
    include( $ifile );
  }

 The selection of HTML snippets can then be controlled by a PHP script
that picks out HTML snippets according to the language settings.
Also, you can manage the site more easily if you can isolate individual
"scriptlets" rather than wading through very long listing.
It also lends itself to re-use of HTML code.
You could, for example, hold HTML snippets in different directories
according to the language and pass the subdirectory in the QueryString
as well.
It's just a thought.

Andy Clark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM