Re: Re.: Implementation differences between checkdnsrr and dns_get_record

Thx a lot for the details, appreciated.

Daniele Bonini

From: JÄ?nis Elmeris
Sent: giovedÃŦ 28 ottobre 2021 11:23
To: Daniele B; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re.: Implementation differences between checkdnsrr and dns_get_record

I cannot answer the question competently, but just so it doesn't remain completely unanswered. :)

If you are interested in the implementation of both functions, here is the code for "dns_check_record" ("checkdnsrr" is an alias for this one):
And here is the code for "dns_get_record":

At a first glance, they both use functions "dns_open", "php_dns_search", "php_dns_free_handle", so a difference in the network libraries should not have been the issue.

Although, you should look at the code for the specific PHP version you were using at the time.

Also, there is different code for Windows implementation:
https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/master/ext/standard/dns_win32.c

Regards,
Janis

No: Daniele B <my25mb@xxxxxxx>
NosÅĢtÄĢts: pirmdiena, 2021. gada 25. oktobris 16:01
Kam: JÄ?nis Elmeris <janis.elmeris@xxxxx>; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
TÄ?ma: RE: Atb.: Implementation differences between checkdnsrr and dns_get_record

Absolutely and thanks for the chance.

In this case for implementation I mean if they both rely on the same network libraries and methods to access the network.

To be more detailed, recently I dealt - by others PHP code -  with both these instructions troubleshooting a wrong network problem, between a firewall configuration and the regional availability of the servers of origin/destination. The developers of this 3rd company asked me to install some code that they were using in one and the other instruction with different final results. Actually, I do not remeber much more and which of the two functions got most useful.

I see also that there are some difference in the PHP versions supported by them, that make me think one time more they have different kind of network access.

Daniele Bonini
[par7133]