Re: Upgraded PHP version from 5.3 to 7.0.33 now database functions are broken...

On 11.09.2021 at 11:38, Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 22:18:09 +0100, AllenJB <php.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> You can find a list of changes in the "Migrating" appendices in the PHP
>> Manual:
>> https://www.php.net/manual/en/appendices.php
>>
>> The appendices for older versions can be found in the Zend hosted
>> "legacy" manual:
>> https://php-legacy-docs.zend.com/manual/php5/en/appendices
>>
>> You'll want to pay particular attention to the "breaking changes" sections.
>
> I looked briefly on these pages but I could not find mention of "breaking
> changes" in fact the word break does not appear anywhere on the pages...

Look for the chapters titled "Backward incompatible changes".

>> If you previously used the old ext/mysql (mysql_* functions), these have
>> been removed and you should use either MySQLi or PDO instead.
>
> I don't think they have been *removed* in 7.0, I have created a test webpage
> where I can call various php files to test operations. So far I have only tested
> report functions like showing the content of a table etc, and that all works...
> So I get some access to the database anyway.

The mysql extension has been *unbundled* from php-src, and is now
available from PECL.  There is likely no difference for you if you're
using a distro.  Still, the mysql is deprecated for a long time, and I
suggest you switch to mysqli or PDO_MySQL; but that is not urgent;
better get the existing code running first.

I also suggest that you update to a newer version of PHP, after you've
made the code working with PHP 7.0.

Christoph