Upgraded PHP version from 5.3 to 7.0.33 now database functions are broken...

Half a week ago I upgraded my webhost website to use PHP 7 instead of the old
5.3 in order to make PHPmailer work, which it did after some work.

But a side effect of this seems to be that the database functionality of a
completely *different* web application on the same server has broken down...

I can now no longer use a Windows config application which updates the database
with new content by http posting new data to the database via php based
handlers.

I suspect that there is some simple syntrax change that is the cause but I don't
know how to test it on the site. There are php handlers working as if the data
came from a web form but it does not, instead a POST call is created in the old
Windows application and sent to the server.

Any ideas how I can go about debugging this?
I am thinking about using curl to send the commands to the respective handler
php file or else I have to create a web form which can post data the same way as
the Windows App does...

Any suggestions on the best approach?
curl or a test webpage or something else?

One notice from when I worked on the emailing form beginning of this week:

I was able to enable php errors sent to the calling browser using this:
ini_set('display_errors', '1');
at the top of the php files.

Then I got error output related to the include done from a php file to the php
file doing debug logging, which was used in several php files
.
I had to change the includes like this:

From:  include 'logdebug.php';
To:    include_once 'logdebug.php';

Otherwise I got a strange error I had not seen before.

Could the same be the cause here regarding the following include:

include ($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] . '/php/appdbdata.php');

It is present in each of the function related php files and uses the construct
above to make sure the correct file is included no matter where the using php
file is located.

But do I always need include_once with PHP 7?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden