Re: Hoping for a working example of SFTP in PHP

Dear Andrey,

You seem to be taking a somewhat attacking and uncivil tone of voice with me. This is not an appropriate or professional way to help someone who is only asking for help. I never act this way with others, so I feel that your attacks are unfair. If I make mistakes, simply correct them, please. Or at worst ignore them and don't reply. Don't go out of your way to insult and offend a stranger on the Web like this.

"That's ridiculous. Please use google at least before spewing such nonsense."

It is not ridiculous and I use Google searching everyday. Why does SFTP exist? Because it is more secure to encrypt a file in transit and to use public key systems. FTP is therefore less secure than SFTP, almost by definition. Instead of being uncivil, explain your objection.

"In other words, you are looking for a work done for you by somebody else for free."

Is a programming manual like the PHP Manual work done for free? Then, yes, I need work done for free. The PHP Manual has a working example of FTP. I actually have tested it and used it in programs. However, the PHP Manual is lacking a working example of SFTP using a private keyword, which is in my opinion the future of standard file uploading. All I ask for is a similar working example that uses the SFTP protocol for increased security.

Are you claiming that libraries need not be documented, or that they don't even need to work? I hope not.

"That's just as ridiculous as comparing SFTP (which uses SSH protocol at core) to FTP or even FTPS. They are inherently different protocols."'

This comment doesn't make sense to me. I did not confuse different protocols with each other. I simply stated that the heart of SFTP is to use a private key, which is true. Strangely, most examples of SFTP on the Web use username and password instead of public and private keys. I don't understand why this is true, since public key protocols provide dramatically better security. That is exactly why they exist.

"And you are unable to read documentation even being directly pointed to a specific function."

I read the PHP Manual almost every day, so that I can use the language in my programming. If you will simply try the ssh2 library function examples yourself, you will see that some of them do not work. That is, the function examples in the Manual, which usually work, do not work in the case of the ssh2 library when a private key is specified. Search the Web and you will find that this is a common problem with the ssh2 library, when it is used at all.

One programmer who gave up on ssh2 wrote his own library, so he could have a library that actually works, and make it available to others. It is called phpseclib and is in GitHub. He told me that was the reason he wrote phpseclib. The only reason I would prefer not using it is because it is very large, bring written in PHP code. I would rather use something built into PHP either directly or in a library.

If ssh2 really doesn't work, it should be fixed and get documentation as good as for other functions. I shouldn't be attacked if a PHP library doesn't work and I try to get help.

David