Re: is_file and file_exists not case sensitive?

Greetings, Lester Caine.

> On 21/03/2020 14:40, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Lester Caine.

>>> But is far as I am aware windows is STILL using 16 bit per character
>>
>> It uses UTF-16 for internal representation. Which is far from "16 bit per character".
>>
>>> wide string format for file names along with somewhat unreliable case
>>> conversions on the basic ASCII character subset?
>>
>> The strength of your desire to attack the OS you dislike is very clear.
>> However, I suggest you learn first, attack later. If there's still something
>> to attack.

> Has windows now migrated to all actions being 'multibyte'? I will admit
> it's been some time since I had to look at the code level details, when
> wcstring was single 16 bit character string just using the first code
> page. I HAVE had problems with copying files using higher code page
> characters to windows machines so simply fixed the file name back the
> the first code page.

I've had opposite experience copying half a terabyte of information from
Windows server to Samba share back in 2011. Now what?

> The one thing that did pop up is that recent builds of W10 does seem to
> have a working UTF8 code page? But I've not been able to find that
> reference again :(

>> https://stackoverflow.com/a/52203901/1449366
>>
>>> While we can use UTF8 characters in Linux file names they do not map through
>>> to the windows file name?
>>
>> They do. It is guaranteed by the UNICODE standard.
>> Exceptions to this rule are not in character mapping, but in differences of
>> underlying OS/filesystem.
>>
>> (F.e. you can't reliable represent a dot at the end of a file in Windows,
>> while in Linux it is perfectly normal.)
>>
>>> This is nothing to do with PHP ...
>>
>> That much is true.

> And even today simply copying a file from one OS to another is not a
> reliable operation ...

Copying a file from one filesystem to another is not a reliable operation. Has
nothing to do with OS per se.

--
Sincerely Yours, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@xxxxxxxxxxx>