Re: is_file and file_exists not case sensitive?

Greetings, Lester Caine.

> On 21/03/2020 09:25, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
>> On 21.03.2020 at 02:37, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings, Lester Caine.

>>> That's not really true. Windows can be configured for anything you wish, and
>>> UNICODE names were a problem of PHP, which was solved not-very-recently in V7.
>>
>> More precisely, as of PHP 7.1.0:
>> <https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration71.windows-support.php#migration71.windows-support.long-and-utf8-path>.

> But is far as I am aware windows is STILL using 16 bit per character

It uses UTF-16 for internal representation. Which is far from "16 bit per character".

> wide string format for file names along with somewhat unreliable case
> conversions on the basic ASCII character subset?

The strength of your desire to attack the OS you dislike is very clear.
However, I suggest you learn first, attack later. If there's still something
to attack.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/52203901/1449366

> While we can use UTF8 characters in Linux file names they do not map through
> to the windows file name?

They do. It is guaranteed by the UNICODE standard.
Exceptions to this rule are not in character mapping, but in differences of
underlying OS/filesystem.

(F.e. you can't reliable represent a dot at the end of a file in Windows,
while in Linux it is perfectly normal.)

> This is nothing to do with PHP ...

That much is true.

--