Re: New to PHP, need pointers to best practices for the design of an atypical web app

amead@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Alan Mead) wrote:

> I have a couple stupid questions: How do I "install" bt_ on my server?
> Do I install PHPLint and this is installed at the same time? My existing
> code is licensed as GPL2. I don't know if using bt_ invokes a license
> requirement for my code, but is there anything about bt_ that would clash?

Bt_ is a set of utility classes that are part of the PHPLint package.
So, download PHPLint and put it somewhere, possibly *outside* of the
document root of your web site because there are not real web pages there.
Check README.htm for installation directions, in particular how to set the
path of the actual php.ini into stdlib/error.php.

The ACME sample web site is implemented by the dispatcher page index.php
and the login.php page available under stdlib/com/acme/www/public_html/;
these are the only real web page you must copy somewhere under your web
site or, even simpler, create your own pages including them:

login.php:

<?php
require_once __DIR__ . "/../../phplint/stdlib/com/acme/www/public_html/login.php";

index.php:

<?php
require_once __DIR__ . "/../../phplint/stdlib/com/acme/www/public_html/index.php";

Adjust the paths according to your directories layout.  A sessions
storage directory has also to be created and its path must be set in
the dispatcher page. More details are here:

http://www.icosaedro.it/phplint/web/bt_-tutorial.html#H6_Putting_all_together:_file_system_layout

As a further example, the dispatcher page for the IWA web app available under

stdlib/it/icosaedro/www/public_html/index.php

is way more complicated due to the extra features (not bt_ related)
I added to it.

The license is a BSD-style one available under LICENSE.txt, which is
GPL-compatible and allows to do pretty anything.

Regards,
 ___
/_|_\  Umberto Salsi
\/_\/  www.icosaedro.it