Re: New to PHP, need pointers to best practices for the design of an atypical web app

I would create a temporary table for each user. Use the date/time for the table name.

That gives you a unique name and also allows maintenance to remove old tables.

You could store a cookie on the users computer that can get them into the correct session.

But with people using multiple devices you need to consider someone going partway and then resuming on a different device. Allow midway logins.

On 2019-07-02 2:41 p.m., Alan Mead wrote:
Thanks. I have a Perl simulation of the CAT working (which has all the technical algorithms). What I need to do is build the user interface and I/O (and translate the Perl algorithms to PHP) to allow real people to take a CAT online for a research project. I agree that nailing down the data structures, and understanding how a PHP app is constructed, have been the two main issues.

I'm working on a v1 that will store a hidden/cookie session ID that will be tied to a serialized object stored in a database to maintain state, possibly like this: https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_sessions.asp , although it's not immediately apparent how I extend this model to store sessions in a database.

If I use PHP sessions to maintain state in MySQL (as suggested on the w3schools page above) does PHP delete old state? That might be a good security measure and necessary for some applications, but (as you say) I'll have all the data I want in that structure.

-Alan