Re: Compiling PHP 7.3 with latest OpenSSL

On 18.06.2019 at 18:29, Pete Cooper wrote:

> I'm compiling the current PHP 7.3 release from source, and I would like to
> compile with the latest OpenSSL instead of the system-native OpenSSL.
>
> My understanding is the `--with-openssl` and `--with-openssl-dir` flags are
> the way forward. When I use both and provide relative directory to OpenSSL
> source, the PHP compile completes without error, but a subsequent
> `phpinfo()` check shows the (older) system-native library used instead.
>
> My questions:
>
> * Is it possible to compile PHP 7.3 with OpenSSL source?

No.  PHP looks for the headers and the libraries, so the sources are not
sufficient.

> * If not, do I need to compile a portable OpenSSL first, then compile PHP
> with references to said OpenSSL?

Yes.

> * Does using `--with-openssl` and `--with-openssl-dir` together force the
> system-native version to be used because `--with-openssl` appears before
> `--with-openssl-dir`?

These configuration options are used by different PHP extensions.  PHP's
OpenSSL extension uses --with-openssl.  --with-openssl-dir is used by
the FTP and the SNMP extension; if you don't need these, you can ignore
--with-openssl-dir altogether.

In any way, config.log is your friend.  If the configuration fails,
there should be some useful info about what went wrong.

Regards,
Christoph