Re: Weird permission issue

> Date: Thursday, May 09, 2019 01:03:33 +0530
> From: Zareef Ahmed <zareef@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I think you can run through the following checklist:-
>
> 1. Web server is running under the same user which owns that
> directory.
> 2. If the owner is not the same, then please change the
> owner using chown .
> 3. If permissions are not the same, then change
> permission using chmod.
> 4. On some Linux boxes, SELinux may have been enabled,
> and context has been set for that specific directory.
> You can try to disable SELinux.

>From a security perspective, these are very bad suggestions (and I
don't think relevant to the issue at hand anyway).

Directories and files accessible by the web server should never be
owned, and generally not writable, by the user the server is running
as. If they are, then if someone is able to break through - most
likely via a poorly written script - they can control all the content
served by the web server. System security features like SELinux
should never be turned off simply because they are not understood. If
context permissions are needed, then add them.

The initial issue was described as:

   mv /var/www/html/foo  /var/www/html/foo.old
   mv /var/www/html/foo.new /var/www/html/foo

   When I do that I get an error writing to the log file:

   Error #2: fopen(/var/www/html/foo/log.txt): failed to open
   stream: Permission denied

without more detail, I'm going to suspect that there is something
about the way the log file write is done that is different between
the two scripts. It's possible that it's a selinux issue, the output
from an "ls -lZ" would provide useful information.