Re: Wordpress wows ...

On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 10:49 +0000, Lester Caine wrote:
I think I was under the impression that wordpress made life easier as it
keeps nannying you about keeping up to date. That is probably correct if
you only use the core components, but the 'money making' extensions are
probably used by 99% of people, the vast majority of whom are reliant on
the sellers to maintain things?

Having just taken on another 20 domains all of which are live and have
been 'maintained' so that there are no 'outstanding updates' one expects
little trouble other than working out just which add-ons are actually
being used on each site? Except the virtual hosting is too helpful, and
has every version of PHP from 5.2 to 7.3 ... and some sites are still on
5.5 while others are on different versions of 7. I did have a little
panic as having upgraded one site from 5.5 to 7.2 - and fixed the
remaining mysql calls in a couple of plug-ins so it didn't white screen
- I went to check another site and found it on 7.2 as well ... turns out
I'd simply picked one that had already been updated and now my crib
sheet has the current versions of each site so I can now work through
the ones that are still on a PHP5 version and fix them.

The problem is with wordpress keeping pushing 'autoupdate' even when
it's identified the site is using plugins which have not yet been
updated and in this particular case will not be provided with an update
at all how does one maintain a stable environment. The hosting is
managing things nicely but has dropped 'mysql' from the PHP7.x package
list. Wordpress quite rightly still supports it in the core at the
moment, so a scan always shows mysql_ function calls. I think I am safe
simply using the existing MariaDB server as that is already on 7.2
anyway but should I ensure wordpress autoupdate is off until I can clear
the other problems? As yet I've not worked out where to find the error
logs on the hosting, the 'Errors' link just gives a blank page and while
the logs are being archived to a logs folder, there are no 'deprecated'
messages in those logs so the only way currently to test is switch on
error display and see them on the live site.

Anybody been here before and can suggest where I should be heading to
sort out the sites ... short of simply dumping a copy on a local machine
which is essentially what I did with the first one :( But since the
primary domain was changing on it that was the recommended route anyway.
I suppose I could take advantage of the hosting and simply create a demo
site using each main site in turn ... at least it would be tested in the
same environment!

WordPress is still using mysql_* calls? I might expect that of badly written plugins, not the WordPress core itself. If possible, try to find alternative plugins that don't use those methods, as they've been marked unsafe for years now, so it's little wonder they've been removed!

You might be able to write a set of wrapper methods to create custom functions that replace the removed ones (although this might only work in a namespace) that can call through to either the mysqli_* functions or something else like PDO.