Wordpress wows ...

I think I was under the impression that wordpress made life easier as it keeps nannying you about keeping up to date. That is probably correct if you only use the core components, but the 'money making' extensions are probably used by 99% of people, the vast majority of whom are reliant on the sellers to maintain things?

Having just taken on another 20 domains all of which are live and have been 'maintained' so that there are no 'outstanding updates' one expects little trouble other than working out just which add-ons are actually being used on each site? Except the virtual hosting is too helpful, and has every version of PHP from 5.2 to 7.3 ... and some sites are still on 5.5 while others are on different versions of 7. I did have a little panic as having upgraded one site from 5.5 to 7.2 - and fixed the remaining mysql calls in a couple of plug-ins so it didn't white screen - I went to check another site and found it on 7.2 as well ... turns out I'd simply picked one that had already been updated and now my crib sheet has the current versions of each site so I can now work through the ones that are still on a PHP5 version and fix them.

The problem is with wordpress keeping pushing 'autoupdate' even when it's identified the site is using plugins which have not yet been updated and in this particular case will not be provided with an update at all how does one maintain a stable environment. The hosting is managing things nicely but has dropped 'mysql' from the PHP7.x package list. Wordpress quite rightly still supports it in the core at the moment, so a scan always shows mysql_ function calls. I think I am safe simply using the existing MariaDB server as that is already on 7.2 anyway but should I ensure wordpress autoupdate is off until I can clear the other problems? As yet I've not worked out where to find the error logs on the hosting, the 'Errors' link just gives a blank page and while the logs are being archived to a logs folder, there are no 'deprecated' messages in those logs so the only way currently to test is switch on error display and see them on the live site.

Anybody been here before and can suggest where I should be heading to sort out the sites ... short of simply dumping a copy on a local machine which is essentially what I did with the first one :( But since the primary domain was changing on it that was the recommended route anyway. I suppose I could take advantage of the hosting and simply create a demo site using each main site in turn ... at least it would be tested in the same environment!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL