Re: link vs file

Thanks for the crash course in links.

I am writing a search function for file system branch designated by user in
interface elements (php/html page). So if there is a hard link in this file
system branch that point to an existing file in the same system branch, I don't necessarily want to
search the file more than once.

My limited understanding of hard vs soft links is that hard links can only be made on file in the
same file system. But I was never clear on what the "same" file system limit is.

For instance: suppose I put a hard link in the usr filesystem that points to a file in the var file
system, is that valid? What if the usr and var directories are on separate hard drives? I set once
set up a FreeBSD system with usr on one SCSI drive and var on another SCSI drive on the
same machine. These two SCSI drives were separate from the boot drive.  Would that constitute
"different" file systems? This has been 10 or more years ago and most of my serious Linux/BSD
adventures have been 10 or more years ago.

Perhaps I could get directions to a decent explanation.

By the way, duh, I figured out why http://localhost/indexLink was producing raw php code:
It doesn't have the .php extension.

Thanks for time and attention;
Jeff K