Re: Passing by reference question.

Code would help, but I suspect you are passing reference to the function opposed to expecting it by reference on the actual function call. Ex:
// Wrong way!
myFunc(&$arg);               # Deprecated pass-by-reference argument
function myFunc($arg) { }

Use:

// Right way!
myFunc($var);                # pass-by-value argument
function myFunc(&$arg) { }
Source: https://stackoverflow.com/a/8971301/1935500