Re: Difficulty with semicolon

Correct, it would be harder to have a typo in the do..while() because it
would complain about a missing while().

    do;
        { ... }   // <-- syntax error, expected while
    while (!doSomething());

If you wanted an empty in there, you'd just use while() by itself.

    do
        /* keep trying... */ ;
    while (!doSomething());

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why putting the opening brace on the
line above is the *correct* way to write these constructs! ;) It makes
these typos less likely because they stand out as obviously broken:

    if (...) {;    // <-- tho this is syntactically correct and will cause
no problems when run; it's just an empty statement
    }

and

    if (...); {    // <-- the situation you found yourself in, but probably
less likely to occur this way
    }

Cheers,
David