Re: Difficulty with semicolon

Unfortunately, empty statements are sometimes needed in real-world code.

    while (!keepTrying())
        /* keep trying... */ ;

I added the indentation for clarity. We enforce the use of braces even for
one-line blocks like this to help.

    while (!keepTrying()) {
        /* keep trying... */ ;
    }

That, however, wouldn't have solved your typo. Since we can't remove the
ability to have empty statements, one could argue for an option to enforce
braces for all blocks, but I expect the developers would deny such a
request with, "just don't make typos!" :) This is where a linter can help.
You can tell PhpStorm and other editors to disallow one-line blocks without
braces, and they would flag that line for you.

Cheers,
David