Re: feature request : gzip caching

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 28 August 2016 01:31:50 BST, Rene Veerman <rene.veerman.netherlands@
> gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 9:36 PM, Joshua Kehn <josh.kehn@xxxxxxxxx>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Apache handles gzipping just fine. http://httpd.apache.org/
> >> docs/current/mod/mod_deflate.html
> >>
> >> and my PHP handles static file serving only when needed, when
> >evaluating
> >> content and js for specific URLs
> >>

> >> I'm not sure why that would be required. Why doesn't the HTML
> >reference
> >> the assets required directly?
> >>

> >that would result in *way* too many HTTP requests dude ;)
> >
> You're doing it wrong
>
> >i'm thinking i evaluate what URL is called up in PHP, figure out what
> >cache
> What's wrong with front end evaluating what js it needs to request, like
> angular or react does?
> >files are needed (i now use multiple stages of cache files for some
> >stuff
> >like the main HTML template), and output a new "master cache file" that
> >is
> >a file that gets called up rather quickly with readfile() after a
> >file_exists(translateURLtoFilesystempath($untranslatedContentURL)) to
> >see
> >if regeneration for any particular URL is needed..
> >
> >public function translateURLtoFilesystempath ($url) {
> >            $r = $url;
> >            $r = str_replace('/','---',$r);
> >            $r = str_replace('?','-_-',$r);
> >            $r = str_replace('&','__-',$r);
> >            $r = str_replace('=','___',$r);
> >            return '--_'.$r;
> >}
> >public function translateFilesystempathToURL ($path) {
> >            $r = preg_replace ('#.*--_#', '', $path);
> >            $r = str_replace('---','/',$r);
> >            $r = str_replace('-_-','?',$r);
> >            $r = str_replace('__-','&',$r);
> >            $r = str_replace('___','=',$r);
> >            return $r;
> >}
> >

> >> and for noobish developers it might be very convenient to add this to
> >php
> >> readfile() afterall
> >>

> >> Convenient and right are often two different ways to solve a problem.
> >> try to not offer convenient solutions that are not right.
> >>

> >yea, that's the C++ attitude ;) you do know C++ got dinosaured for a
> >*more
> >simple and intuitive* C# right? ;)
>
> That's not what happened at all. C++ is alive and well, C# has always
> served a different purpose
>

> >> --jk
> >>
> >> On Aug 27, 2016, at 3:04 PM, Rene Veerman <rene.veerman.netherlands@
> >> gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> yea ok.. "something upstream".. is that nginx easy to stack above /
> >next
> >> to / under apache2? i'm really used to apache2..
> >> and for noobish developers it might be very convenient to add this to
> >php
> >> readfile() afterall..

> [...]
Combine all of your JS to 1 file, minimize it and then serve it. After
initial load it should be fine. That is how most systems I worked on with
it and works fine. The browser won't have to download it multiple times
(depending on user settings).

1MB of javascript is huuuuuge, I don't want to say you are doing it wrong,
but something is going on. jQuery library itself is just 85kb compressed.

As a developer, the way I do it is make sure that my architecture design is
correct (which language/systems/etc.. to use). Once that is done for my
purpose, the language usually doesn't matter.