Re: Question about the difference between `glob` and `GlobIterator` behaviour

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 6:12 PM, <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2016-03-23 02:28, Stéphane HULARD wrote:
>
>> Hello !
>>
>> I’m currently working on the Hoa Project (http://hoa-project.net) about
>> a `glob` behaviour integration:
>> https://github.com/hoaproject/File/pull/22
>>
>> We found that there are some difference between the `glob` function and
>> the
>> `GlobIterator` object.
>>
>> 1. `glob`
>> This function is able to scan only dirs with the GLOB_ONLYDIR constant
>> and is also able
>> to expand braces to match in a list of items with GLOB_BRACE.
>>
>> Exemple with glob(‘/{a,b,c}/foo/bar’, GLOB_BRACE), it’ll search :
>> - /a/foo/bar
>> - /b/foo/bar
>> - /c/foo/bar
>>
>> 2. `GlobIterator`
>> This object has no options or constants to apply the same logic than
>> GLOB_ONLYDIR and GLOB_BRACE.
>> It’s possible to combine different iterators and obtain the same
>> result but it’s a lot more
>> complicated.
>>
>> Exemple with new GlobIterator(‘/{a,b,c}/foo/bar’), it’ll search :
>> - /{a,b,c}/foo/bar
>>
>> Is there some reason about the differences in these two implementations ?
>> I found that the braces expansion is not part of the “official” glob
>> pattern definition but
>> it’s definitively an awesome feature.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your attention.
>> Stéphane
>>
>> Stéphane HULARD
>> Directeur technique & CEO
>> CH Studio - Collectif digital
>> 2 rue d'Italie - 38490 Les Abrets
>> Phone: +33 (0)6 18 18 65 04
>> www.chstudio.fr
>>

>> --
>>

> By no means do I pretend to have any insight to the internals of PHP, but
> if I
> were to take a guess, I would say that the functionality of the glob was
> initially
> modelled after the glob'ing ability found in most all *nix cli tools from
> years
> past.
>

> --

Jim is spot on, glob was indeed modeled after linux's glob function (as
many of PHP's earlier functions like copy, rename, etc..):

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/glob.3.html

Which is why many (but not all) flags are similar in name and functionality.

The GlobIterator class on the other hand is more powerful and offers better
usage imo, however it is not available except on v >= 5.3. The difference
comes naturally with any improvements on any language. newer functionality
doesn't always match the old, specially when the old are still usable side
by side.