Unfamiliar behavior with ZipArchive class

Hello;

I am developing cms with zip archive management facilities:

I created a test case directory with nested directories on my
client; Mac OSX with Firefox. I then compressed the test case
and made a separate copy renamed with FTP add to the name.

So the test case with FTP added to the name is uploaded to my
(local) dev sever: FreeBSD v 10.1 w/Apache and php.

So, I have recursive code to remove directories with nested content.
I  wanted to see if I could remove the contented created from expanding
the FTP named zip (which would initially be owned by the FTP user
account)

My intention was to see how it would deal with permission issues
related to an ftp user owned zip archive.

What happened when the content expanded from the FTP named
zip file was removed was that a new directory on the server was
created and the expanded content was copied to that directory.

There were no errors presented regarding permissions issues.

The directory was named _MACOSX. I did not write any code to do
that.

My question is:

Did php do that on its own? Or, was that Apache on the server? Or
was it the FreeBSD system?

I was subsequently able to remove the _MACOSX directory with
php code without problems. But the interim step is a complication.

As a follow up to my last query about use of ZipArchive to expand
Zip file has been resolved. It is working properly now.