Re: Quick question

On 20/02/16 00:37, Jeffry Killen wrote:
> I am working on a CMS system that does include uploading facilities and
> downloading facilities. To get the whole package on my remote hosting
> service
> I need to upload it via ftp, or upload a bare bones uploading form and
> use it
> to upload the rest. Then the issue of uploading  a package is of
> concern: to
> compress or not to compress before uploading.

You SHOULD have access to you file system on your remote hosting which
will allow the initial upload, and later changes to be made. Clients
then using the CMS interface never see the files directly so there is
not a problem. My own remote servers have rsync installed and I mirror
their data and files back to here on a cron job which runs every 24
hours. WWhen I spot a bug I can play with the local version, fix it, and
then rsync the corrected files back to the remote copy. There are good
tools for managing servers so you don't need to build your own.

p.s. check out https://github.com/bitweaver for some examples of how to
build a modular CMS ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL