Re: Quick question

On Feb 19, 2016, at 1:48 PM, Lester Caine wrote:

On 19/02/16 18:24, Jeffry Killen wrote:
On a remote host I would not necessarily be able to ssh into their
server and run a cli script.

I changed the code to use mkdir when a directory is encountered, but I
am running into
permissions issues. I hoped I wouldn't have to manually set all the
permissions in the
ftp user owned directory, but on my dev platform (FreeBSD) I am having
to do that. That
is where I could use a cli script to run as ftp user, assuming I could
ssh into a remote
host's server as normal user.

All my PHP instances run as the nginx user and are secure to that user
account. It's the web interface that supplies files to download and
upload so it's not a problem, but
http://php.net/manual/en/function.chown.php show allow you to switch
them to a particular user if you want to. Yes you can log into a remote
machine as any user ... who is authorised such access ;)

"who is authorized such access": exactly, ftp access doesn't necessarily
mean ssh access.

Perhaps the rest of this is straying too far off topic, if so, sorry. I also remember that I didn't do 'reply all' on this and that this response is not via the list.

At one time I was self hosting and was running four public facing web servers and had ssh access blocked to all on the public network addresses using tcp wrappers. I had frequent and numerous attempts to connect from outside to
ftp, ssh, and even mysql.

On my FreeBSD dev server, and the others (Mac OSX and Debian Linux)
that I have locally I cannot use php via web server owned script to chown
from ftp user and I cannot chown, as ftp user, to web server user on the
FreeBsd system. The security is set so only root can use chown.

I am working on a CMS system that does include uploading facilities and
downloading facilities. To get the whole package on my remote hosting service I need to upload it via ftp, or upload a bare bones uploading form and use it to upload the rest. Then the issue of uploading a package is of concern: to
compress or not to compress before uploading.

Thanks again for all responses
JK