Re: Resources for moving a php website into production

On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:53:21 -0600, Samuel Rhoades wrote:

> I'm really new to web development and only just learning php which is all
> very exciting, but I've hit a roadblock. I've created my first php website
> using XAMPP as a development environment, and it looks great, but now I'm
> totally lost as to how to move it onto a remote server and actually put it
> on the web! I never thought this would be the hardest step for me! Can
> someone help me with the following questions...
>
> 1. Which hosting company is the best bang for your buck/easiest to
> configure for php applications?

For fairly simple, inexpensive, fantastic support web hosting you cannot
go wrong with:
                https://www.knthost.com/

Full disclosure: I am a customer. Most of my web clients are customers.
Been dealing with them since 2010 -- probably much earlier.

> 2. Are there any good resources for learning how to get a website onto that
> server?
>    ...I'm totally lost on this step.

Dunno what your work platform is, but with linux I use sftp in konqueror
using a split window and move 'objects', or groups of objects from one
location to the other.  To move an entire web site, I might use `rsync`.

> 3. What should I be using...SSH or SFTP and why?

With knthost.com you get both SFTP and SSH.
Tho', Murphy gets Really Excited when you log into
a web site with the command line.  heh...  How do I know?

> 4. Anything else you think I should know about to make this step easier in
> the future?

	https://www.webmasterworld.com/

Search their archives.

HTH
Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy |  OS/2