Resources for moving a php website into production

Hi Everyone,

I'm really new to web development and only just learning php which is all
very exciting, but I've hit a roadblock. I've created my first php website
using XAMPP as a development environment, and it looks great, but now I'm
totally lost as to how to move it onto a remote server and actually put it
on the web! I never thought this would be the hardest step for me! Can
someone help me with the following questions...

1. Which hosting company is the best bang for your buck/easiest to
configure for php applications?

2. Are there any good resources for learning how to get a website onto that
server?
   ...I'm totally lost on this step.

3. What should I be using...SSH or SFTP and why?

4. Anything else you think I should know about to make this step easier in
the future?

Thanks for all the help!

-Sam

--