Re: mail() doesn't work

On 14 Sep 2014 at 15:32, Jim Giner <jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/14/2014 10:02 AM, richard gray wrote:
>>
>> On 14/09/2014 14:01, Jim Giner wrote:
>>> Again - I do not understand anything you are talking about here.  I
>>> don't know what a 'shell cmd' is.  I don't know how to execute a
>>> 'manual mail' command.
>>>
>> so why don't you try and find out then ... ? :(
>>
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=php+shell+command
>>
> so what will this do for me?  It says it will not detect execution
> failures.  And since the current code indicates that the function
> returns true, what am I expected to see from this?

ISTM that what you need, and don't have, is a local environment where you can test what you're doing. Since you haven't told us (unless you did and I missed it) what OS your laptop is running, it's a bit hard to indicate how to set that up. But under OS X, f'rinstance, you'd run the Terminal program, which gives you a command line prompt, at which you can start interactive PHP:

  Second-Mini% php -a
  Interactive shell

  php >

at which you could enter some of the commands people have given in earlier emails. I'm a bit surprised that (unless I'm missing something), you appear not to have a test environment.

BTW, for the avoidance of doubt, I should state that I personally hate most unix shell commands. From time to time I have a fit of activity and decide to "learn unix", but on each occasion after five minutes I develop this desire to throw my computer out of the window. I then sink back into my habitual sloth. Notwithstanding this, I have gleaned enough to be able to use a terminal window for a lot of local testing using, I imagine, a shell.

Recently I dabbled with the Windows command line, in order to develop a Win7 version of my email client. I concluded that the unix shell is about 1,000,000 times better that the Windows shell (plus/minus 10%).

--
Cheers  --  Tim