Re: PHP 5.5/Win32 "application is not a win32 executable" error

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 04:42:19PM +0100, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 18/07/14 14:42, Aziz Saleh wrote:
> > It is not. Windows itself has ended supporting Windows XP (You are
> > currently unprotected from new vulnerabilities), why do you expect the same
> > from Zend?
>
> Microsoft require a large sum of money to restore working systems,
> something that may simply be not available to many sites.
> Blackmail used to be a crime so I don't know when they legalised it?

Sorry, what? Exactly who is being blackmailed here?

> You are only unprotected from the complaints M$ send. If you use the
> correct supporting software, much of which is free, then there is not
> a problem and ones machines are still protected.

This is patently false. As with all operating systems, Windows XP has
numerous bugs and vulnerabilities in its core code. Things like buffer
overflow vulns, weaknesses in authentication systems, etc. Things that
3rd party software cannot protect. Without constant attention and
patching, a system will be vulnerable to many, many exploits.

Thus, it is in the interests of both Microsoft and Windows software
vendors (like Zend) to discourage the use of systems that are no longer
secure to use, _especially_ in the case of internet-facing server
systems.

--Sean