Re: Working with PHP Functionality Inside of Wordpress

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 10:08:30AM -0700, dealTek wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have moderate level PHP programming skills. I am also interested in
> merging those skills inside of the WordPress app. With their advanced
> responsive design themes and many other functions it seems like a good
> idea. I have tried loading some PHP plug-ins in WP – but I don't seem
> to get them to do more than basics.
>
> For example, I am looking to be able to perform moderate level
> PHP/MySQL functionality such as C.R.U.D. / perform basic queries to
> the database and display the results with various looping functions
> etc. all the basics we would be doing on an average PHP driven
> website. In other words build a php/mysql website but simple inside of
> WP.
>
> Currently, I don't know how it's possible to do this inside of posts
> and pages. Of course somehow this is possible, since there are
> plug-ins like woo commerce where they have built a whole php driven
> store functionality in a plug-in.
>
> Q: So, I'm curious if anybody knows how I can get started working with
> PHP/MySQL inside of the WordPress app?

This is all answered in the online docs available on the Wordpress site.
I researched it myself at one time a while back. In fact, you can work
with the code base of wp to display pages of your own design, without
ever using the actual wp engine to display the pages. Search for "The
Loop" on their site, a key concept in their core code.

BTW, I agree with the other respondent about Drupal. It's a marvel of
smart design. But I'd have to say that Wordpress's administrative
functionality more complete and easier to use than Wordpress's.
Wordpress also had more widespread support and adoption than Drupal.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com