Re: Large(ish) scale pdf file cacheing

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Bastien Koert <phpster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Use the filesystem and store each pdf on the file system
>
> you can use a cron to delete the files older than x

Thanks for the suggestion- sounds like that might be the simplest approach.

> Is each PDF substantially different or just some pertinent details like
> customer name, address etc? Could you template that so that you are
> generating a minimal number of PDFs?

The generation is handled by a 3rd party black box application. Each
document is substantially different from others- they are chemical safety
datasheets and hence are specific to the particular chemicals they
represent. (If you are curious/interested, this page from Dow Jones
Chemicals has a brief explanation:
http://www.dow.com/productsafety/safety/sds.htm)

> How often does a customer come in and request a new PDF?

This is a new system so it is kind of hard to say. Some chemicals, we might
anticipate requests several times a week (perhaps several times a day).
Others, very rarely- as little as once ever. One thing we had considered is
creating an SDS hit tracker which could sort of scale the relative
importance of a particular file- then when the cron job comes around it
could take that into consideration. I am not really sure if we would see
substantial benefit over just a simple find based cron job. Customers are
not the PM's concern it is the web spiders.