Re: UTF-8, MySQL (MariaDB) and the head-shaped dent in my desk

On 13 February 2014 07:01:00 GMT+00:00, Ian Evans <dheianevans@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I recently moved to a new server and took the move time as a chance to
>migrate my database from Latin1 to UTF-8.
>
>With my site's data forms I'm able to enter accented characters just
>fine
>and the when PHP grabs the info from the DB the accents display just
>fine.
>Sometimes for quick little changes, it's easier to go into a program
>like
>Adminer or phpmyadmin.
>
>I've already posted questions about this at stackoverlflow (
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21439798/utf-8-input-problems-with-adminer-and-phpmyadmin)
>and the adminer forum (
>http://sourceforge.net/p/adminer/discussion/960418/thread/33595373/)
>but so
>far no one's been able to crack this particular nut.
>
>With the UTF-8 in place, I wanted to change director Alfonso Cuaron's
>name
>to Cuarón. I went to his entry in Adminer. Edit. Cuar[alt+0243]n. It
>showed
>in the edit box as Cuarón. But when I saved the change, Adminer showed
>it
>as Cuarón. Okay. Looked at page info in Firefox. Says the character
>encoding of the page is UTF-8. So all should be well, right?
>
>I went to one of my php data entry forms and created a Bob Cuarón. It
>showed up fine. I SSH'd into the server fired up a mysql command line
>and
>ran an update sql line with Cuarón. That worked. But trying to change
>it in
>Adminer still kept giving me Cuarón. I installed phpmyadmin (which was
>giving me some issues with my nginx config) but I was able to edit his
>name
>and...sigh...it too gave me Cuarón. I installed SQLbuddy
>and...success...I
>was able to make the changes, but the program is lacking some of the
>things
>I need, like the ability to edit search results.
>
>I'm sure I've nailed everything down:
>
>nginx.conf:
>
>charset UTF-8;
>
>my.cnf:
>
>[client]
>default-character-set=utf8
>[mysqld]
>character-set-server=utf8
>collation-server=utf8_general_ci
>init-connect='SET NAMES utf8'
>
>/etc/php5/fpm/php.ini
>
>mbstring.language               = Neutral
>mbstring.internal_encoding      = UTF-8
>mbstring.encoding_translation   = On
>mbstring.http_input             = auto
>mbstring.http_output            = UTF-8
>mbstring.detect_order           = auto
>mbstring.substitute_character   = none
>default_charset                 = UTF-8
>
>Iconv support is enabled. the implentation is glibc, the library
>version is
>2.17. and the iconv encodings are set to UTF-8.
>

>SHOW VARIABLES LIKE "%character_set%";

> [...]

I know this doesn't exactly answer your issue, but as an alternative I quite like SQLyog. There's a community version on Google code, and it runs just fine under Wine (I use it myself at home). It makes a lot of things much easier than phpMyAdmin (I've not tried Adminer)
Thanks,
Ash