Re: Re: Do local php.ini files overwrite all variables on acentralserverphp.ini?

On 1/24/2014 12:09 AM, Misha wrote:
Hi Jim,

 > What is the difference whether an .ini setting reverts to (what you
call) server defaults or the main php.ini file settings?

If there is a default setting for PHP then it may conflict with the
settings the server wants to have PHP set at. An example I thought of
is, let's say there is a default of 8 MB for the "memory_limit". If the
main php.ini file on the server ups that to 16 MB but a local php.ini
resets it to the default, then that would mean the setting would be at 8
MB rather than the desired 16 MB.

Thus if a local php.ini file can set a setting to the factory defaults
that might cause issues.

However, in talking with my website host, I learn that there is no
(according to him) "factory default" and that if there is no php.ini
file on the server PHP will not function. I am not expert enough to tell
if this is how it works!

Maybe someone here can confirm. To determine if this is how it works I
would have to find a php.ini setting that is different from the default
php.ini settings and that is a bit of a todo. I have not gotten around
to it.

Misha
On 1/15/14 1:35 PM, Jim Giner wrote:
On 1/15/2014 12:49 PM, Misha wrote:
Yes, but I don't actually have control over the main php.ini file. I'm
actually the user on the shared server.

I hate to be so cautious about this, but somehow it's very hard to find
an answer! I have heard both that it does revert to defaults (years ago
and recently) and also a few times that it reverts to the server
defaults (recently).

On 1/14/14 1:20 PM, Aziz Saleh wrote:
You can easily confirm by changing your main php.ini to a non default
value, then use a localized php.ini that doesn't contain that value and
make sure it is still not the default value.

Aziz

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Misha
<news.php.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

I wanted to double check (to see if anyone else can confirm what Aziz
says) this. Can anyone else comment (or is there a better newsgroup I
can
ask in?)?

Thanks.

On 1/13/14 3:46 PM, Misha wrote:

I have a question about php.ini files. I am using a shared hosting
server for hosting a website. They use a customized php.ini file for
the
server. I would like to override certain variables on a local
directory.
What I have heard is that I must include all the variables on the
php.ini file or else it will set the unlisted ones to defaults. Is
this
true?

Thanks!

What is the difference whether an .ini setting reverts to (what you
call) server defaults or the main php.ini file settings?  If in the end
you don't like a setting, just add it to your personal 'override' .ini
file.

Listen to your provider. The "default" is of course whatever the host has defined php.ini to be. If you personally set an .ini file in a folder then that is the "default" for that folder (and below?).