Re: Re: Do local php.ini files overwrite all variables on acentralserverphp.ini?

Hi Jim,

> What is the difference whether an .ini setting reverts to (what you call) server defaults or the main php.ini file settings?

If there is a default setting for PHP then it may conflict with the settings the server wants to have PHP set at. An example I thought of is, let's say there is a default of 8 MB for the "memory_limit". If the main php.ini file on the server ups that to 16 MB but a local php.ini resets it to the default, then that would mean the setting would be at 8 MB rather than the desired 16 MB.

Thus if a local php.ini file can set a setting to the factory defaults that might cause issues.

However, in talking with my website host, I learn that there is no (according to him) "factory default" and that if there is no php.ini file on the server PHP will not function. I am not expert enough to tell if this is how it works!

Maybe someone here can confirm. To determine if this is how it works I would have to find a php.ini setting that is different from the default php.ini settings and that is a bit of a todo. I have not gotten around to it.

Misha